[Tutor] Add readline capabilities to a Python build 2.6 on Ubuntu

spir denis.spir at free.fr
Tue Feb 17 09:22:18 CET 2009

Le Mon, 16 Feb 2009 22:34:23 -0700,
Eric Dorsey <dorseye at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Greetings Tutor:
> I've managed to install Python 2.6 on my Ubuntu VM from source, however, it
> looks as though I missed something important along the way. My 2.6
> interpreter does not have readline support (example: I cant hit up arrow to
> repeat the last command) Is there a way to add this functionality now?
>
> Or alternative, if I just rebuild it, does anyone know the flag or verbage
> to get readline support in?

As far as I know, it's built-in by default. But I have 2.5.2, not 2.6. Have you tried to import it, just to check?

spir at o:~/prog/io$ python
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Oct  5 2008, 19:24:49)
[GCC 4.3.2] on linux2
>>> import readline
>>> readline
<module 'readline' from '/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/readline.so'>

denis
------
la vida e estranya