[Tutor] Picking up citations

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Tue Feb 10 13:01:57 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Dinesh B Vadhia
<dineshbvadhia at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Kent /Emmanuel
>
> Below are the results using the PLY parser and Regex versions on the
> attached 'sierra' data which I think covers the common formats.  Here are
> some 'fully unparsed" citations that were missed by the programs:
>
> Smith v. Wisconsin Dept. of Agriculture, 23 F.3d 1134, 1141 (7th Cir.1994)
>
> Indemnified Capital Investments, S.A. v. R.J. O'Brien & Assoc., Inc., 12
> F.3d 1406, 1409 (7th Cir.1993).
>
> Hunt v. Washington Apple Advertising Commn., 432 U.S. 333, 343, 97 S.Ct.
> 2434, 2441, 53 L.Ed.2d 383 (1977)
>
> Idaho Conservation League v. Mumma, 956 F.2d 1508, 1517-18 (9th Cir.1992)

A few issues here:
S.A. - this is hard, to allow this while filtering out sentences
R.J. O'Brien, etc. - Loosening up the rules for the second name can allow these
1517-18 - allow page ranges

The name issues are getting to be too much for me. Attached is a PLY
version that just pulls out the citation without the name; at one
point you indicated that would work for you.

Kent