[Tutor] Designing a Dialog in Python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 6 10:12:53 CET 2009

"Wayne Watson" <sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net> wrote

> Signature.htmlWhen I used VBasic many years ago,
> it had the ability to design a dialog and then attach it
> to the code. Is there something like this available for Python?

What I think you are looking for is a GUI design tool.
There are several for Python, some commercial some free.
In my experience none of them are anywhere near as good
as the VB or Delphi ones. However SPE worked, and I
know some folks have gotten Glade to work.
I think dabo might work too.

And if you are on a Mac you can use the standard XCode
development tools to build a GUI and connect Python
via the PyObjC bridge.

The bigger issue is that all of these tools are tied to GUI
frameworks so you need to learn how to program using
the framework first. wxPython or PyQt seem to be the
most popular for GUI bulders but a few have modified
the underlying framework to produce their own dialect.
(I think dabo is an example)

However most Python programmers still seem to build
their GUIs using vanilla code rather than a visual editor.
If you don't  need the visual design tools then you can
design dialogs etc in your favourite editor and for that
Tkinter/Tix come as standard.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld