[Tutor] Installing python via ftp in virtual domain

John Fouhy john at fouhy.net
Tue Feb 3 03:14:48 CET 2009

2009/2/3 Tim Johnson <tim at johnsons-web.com>:
> I have a client who is hosting under virtual domain services that do not
> provide python.
> He has unlimited disk space available ( or so the hoster says) and they
> would allow installation of binaries in the virtual domain via ftp.
>
> It's a linux 'box' with a /private folder under the domain root. given
> that I have python 2.5 installed on my own desktop, which is also linux,
> could I expect to be able to install python and all libraries via FTP?

I guess the issues you'd face are:
 - different architecture (could be 64bit?)
 - wrong libraries

It might be easier if you can build a statically-linked version of
python -- although it appears that can have issues:
http://bytes.com/groups/python/23235-build-static-python-executable-linux

Or upload the python sources and build it there (do they provide gcc?).

--
John.