[Tutor] design advise

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 27 17:54:31 CEST 2009

<davidwilson at Safe-mail.net> wrote

> The thing that bothers me is that I ma have 10 users or 100,000 users
> and really wanted to get an opinion as to which option would scale
> better, leaving aside the relational DB approach.

If you have to cater for 100,000 users all with different views on a
common set of resources I don;t think you can afford to leave aside
the database approach! Almost anything else will run like a dog
with a broken leg...

10 users with 100,000 resources would be fine but 100,000 users
will be a problem if you try to use the filesystem as an organising tool.

The trick to using the database is to build the relationships in the
database but keep the resources in the filesystem. You can then
query the database for which resources to display then access
the resources directly from disk using their filenames etc

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site