[Tutor] Template long text substitution

Stefan Lesicnik stefan at lsd.co.za
Mon Aug 24 23:14:16 CEST 2009

Hi Guys,

I am trying to do the following, and im not sure how to deal with a blob of
text.

I have the following file i am using as a template

%%NAME%%
%%NUMBER%%
%%REPORT%%

and i have a corresponding file with values

name="bob"
number="123"
report="report is long
and spans multiple
lines. It also is already in the exact format
i want to replace the above template var %%REPORT%% with"

The report part is obviously the problem. My code so far reads line by line
and splits on the = and reads the values into a dict.

file = open('test','r')
data = {}
for line in file:
    line = line.strip()
    line = line.split('=')
    data[line[0]] = line[1]

My intention is then to replace the %%NAME%% with data['name'] etc.
If it makes a difference, the report= will be generated by another program
and given to me in the exact format i need to substitute it into %%REPORT%%.
(or i can put it in that file).

I hope this makes sense, thanks in advance - i really do appreciate it :)

Stefan