[Tutor] get name of calling class at runtime

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 22 23:45:40 CEST 2009

"Kent Johnson" <kent37 at tds.net> wrote

> I think it does makes sense to keep SQL confined to well-defined
> locations. This can be per class - each class holds its own SQL - or a
> single class that does all database access so all SQL and database
> dependencies are in one place.

My vote for the class every time. I hate having to make changes
in two places when I add an attribute etc. Especially if they are in
two separate files or the classes are beiong used in multiple projects.
All that regression testing becomes a headache.

> class DataSources(object):
>   def getAdata(self):
>         # execute sql for callerA
>   def getBdata(self):
>         #execute sql for callerB

You might as well just put them as functions in a module, but
you still have the double file maintenance issue.

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site