[Tutor] simple plots

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 22 09:59:42 CEST 2009

"questions anon" <questions.anon at gmail.com> wrote

>I would like to make some simple plots using matplotlib (or any python
> plotting modules) and I can find lots of examples that generate random
> data
> and then plot those, but I cannot find any that read in data from excel
> or a
> text file, manipulate the data and then plot the data.

Is your question about how to use matplotlib or how to acquire data.
matplotlib doesn't care where the data comes from, the examples
only use random data because its easy to produce. But the data
can come from anywhere, that's a completely separate process
to plotting it.

So do you know how to get the data and maniplulate it?
Is that really what you are asking? If so we need to know a bit
more about what kind of data)its format) and what kind of
manipulation you want to do - is it statistical, scientific calculation,
parsing etc? There will almost certainly be some modules that can
help but we can't tell which yet.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld