[Tutor] python and java report writers

John jfabiani at yolo.com
Mon Aug 17 20:31:35 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have been searching for a report writer to work with my python programs.  I
did find reportlab. But most of the other report writers are java based.  I
am confused by all the jargon associated with Java and have very little
working knowledge of the environment.  So I'm hoping someone will help out.

I'd like to understand how python can integrate with Java in general and then
how it would work with the Java report writers.  I have read a little about
jPython but do not understand how to make that work with my python programs.
It would appear to me it is a way to replace python.  I don't want to replace
my python code.  I want to just call a java report writer.  Passing either
the data or parameters to retrieve the data  and ask it to print a report.  I
would think that would be straight forward.  But I see nothing about python
and jasper for example.  Therefore, something is unusual in this case.

Johnf