[Tutor] Normal Distribution

Garry Bettle garry.bettle at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 22:35:08 CEST 2009

Sorry!  Now with an appropriate subject line... G.

Howdy all,

Hope this email finds you all well - roll on the weekend.

I've been tasked with replicating an Excel spreadsheet.

The spreadsheet contains cells that use Excels' NORMDIST() function.

I have all 3 variables required - value, mean and standard deviation -
but does anyone already have equivalent python code for this function?

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Garry

PS:  Excel Help:

NORMDIST Returns the normal distribution for the specified mean and
standard deviation. This function has a very wide range of
applications in statistics, including hypothesis testing.

Syntax

NORMDIST(x,mean,standard_dev,cumulative)

X   is the value for which you want the distribution.

Mean   is the arithmetic mean of the distribution.

Standard_dev   is the standard deviation of the distribution.

Cumulative   is a logical value that determines the form of the
function. If cumulative is TRUE, NORMDIST returns the cumulative
distribution function; if FALSE, it returns the probability mass
function.

Remarks

If mean or standard_dev is nonnumeric, NORMDIST returns the #VALUE!
error value.
If standard_dev ≤ 0, NORMDIST returns the #NUM! error value.
If mean = 0, standard_dev = 1, and cumulative = TRUE, NORMDIST returns
the standard normal distribution, NORMSDIST.
When cumulative = TRUE, the formula is the integral from negative
infinity to x of the given formula.