[Tutor] creating an exe

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 12 10:48:49 CEST 2009

<proportional at msn.com> wrote

>  i have now finished my program the way i want it. is there a way
> to compile my program so that people without python can see
> what i have made?

Yes, you package your program with a version of python.
You can either do that with a standard installer which installs
python and your program or you use a tool like py2exe which
installs a cut down version of python - just enough to run your
code - and your program

The advantage of the first method is that the user has a full python
that they can use to run other python programs with minimal download etc
The disadvantage is that its a bigger package to doawnload/install
in the first place.

The advantage of the second method is that it is a smaller package
but the disadvantage is that they now have a version of python installed
which can't do anything but run your program. If you write another
program they have to install yet another version of python, and so on,
which very rapidly becomes more wasteful than the first method.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site