[Tutor] Is it syntactic,semantic or runtime?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 25 14:34:39 CEST 2009

"prasad rao" <prasadaraon50 at gmail.com> wrote

> helloI wrote a function to fetch data using urllib and displaying the
> data
> using internet Explorer. it is not preparing the html file
> So opening blank Explorer after complaining th html file not found.

The specific problem has been addressed but in general it is
wise to manually check these kinds of problems to see where
the problem is and solve that first. Thus in this case you needed
to check:

1) Was the html file being created where you expected with the
data you expected?
2) Could IE launch from the command line if you provided that file
as an argument?

In your case test 1 would fail - no file where you expected, so
the next questions to ask are
1a) Is the file being created someplace else (use search)
1b) If so does it have the data I expect?
1c) Can I open IE with the new location

That would have shown where the file was being created.
And hopefully that IE could open it.

This kind of basic detective work can very quickly identify the
errors in the code, much faster than just peering at the source
will - especially when, as in your case, there are several errors.
And if you have done that kind of investigation and still can't
find the problem then let us know what you have discovered
when you post.

Just some thoughts for the future,

--
Alan Gauld