[Tutor] Here's something to talk about (Weidner, Ronald)

Weidner, Ronald RWeidner at ea.com
Wed Apr 15 19:51:18 CEST 2009

class Item ( object ):

    def __init__( self ):
    	self._FullName = ''
    	self._Recovery = 0
    	self._Exporter = SimpleItemExporter (); # <----? Don't
understand

Bummer, I was hoping to consider myself at the tip of intermediate
python programming <sigh>...

This is the first time I have ever seen a variable set to what appears
to be a function address(?). Since I am at work I can't copy paste this
thing yet. Is SimpleItemExporter from the parent class, object? I am
assuming Item extends or inherits (or whatever the right "word" is) from
object.

In the above code example, SimpleItemExporter is a class and
Self._Exporter is an instance of that class.  Yes, SimpleItemExporter
does in fact inherit from object.  Python lacks the 'new' keyword
which may have made that line of code more clear but, in plain English
this is what the line means...

Create a new SimpleItemExporter and let me access it through the
variable self._Exporter.

By the way, I'm avoiding the notion of function address by
implementing the concept of interfaces in these examples.  Please
Let us know if your questions about that line of code are answered.
Once clear, we can move on to even more cool things in this code.

There is a little more to the story relating to the whole self bit, but
since I'm at work now too, I'll let someone else get into that for now.

--
Ronald Weidner