[Tutor] unicode to plain text conversion

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 7 10:41:38 CEST 2009

"Pirritano, Matthew" <MPirritano at ochca.com> wrote

> I am a total newbie. I have a very large file > 4GB that I need to
> convert from Unicode to plain text. I used to just use dos when the file
> was < 4GB but it no longer seems to work. Can anyone point me to some
> python code that might perform this function?

When you say "DOS" what exactly do you mean?

Are you really running an old DOS operating system or are you starting
a DOS box within a Windows variant? If the latter and you are using
COMMAND to start the session you will hit the 4GB limit but if you
use CMD (under Win 2000/XP/Vista) I think it should work as before.
(Although MS may have been too clever for you and updated the type
command to work with unicode!)

Worth a try...

Alan G.