[Tutor] clearing lines for a 'front end' to a tool

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Thu Sep 18 03:37:38 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 6:20 PM, James <jtp at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Kent,
>
> Thanks for the response. As a personal opinion, do you find it more
> appropriate to use something like curses (since it's already built
> into the standard Python library), or to use something "third party"
> like urwid?

I don't have any problem using mature third-party software.

> This program will be distributed to lots of individuals that will
> likely not have urwid installed right off the bat.

I don't know how much of a problem this will be for you. I installed
urwid with easy_install, it's also available with apt-get or as a
tarball that you install with setup.py. It does have a compiled piece
so you can't just include it with the rest of your app. You may be
able to integrate it with a setup.py for your app.

I am new to curses and urwid but at a quick look urwid seems much
easier to use...

Kent