[Tutor] Simple physics simulations)

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Sun Sep 14 18:51:45 CEST 2008

Jim Morcombe wrote:
> I want to write a program that helps teach students how to draw ray
> diagrams for lenses and mirrors. Vpython seems to be used for a number
> of physics simulations, but may be overkill for my application.
> Although there are a few 3D things I would like to do, most just
> involves drawing curves and simple objects, and allowing the User to do
> the same.
>
> So the question - What is the best thing to use to draw and manipulate
> simple 2D objects in an application like this?

I'd stick to a simple 2D Gui toolkit that has a canvas. Tkinter comes by
default and is usually more than sufficient for simple applications.
Simple physics like the thin lens equation etc. can probably be done by
hand for your application. I don't think you need to really use a *real*
physics engine.

For heavy duty physics simulation (the kind you see in modern games),
you can take a look at the Open Dynamics Engine (http://www.ode.org/).
There are Python bindings. I managed to get some of the demos to work fine.

--
~noufal
http://nibrahim.net.in/