[Tutor] Beginner issue with Tkinter Listbox

David Johnson david.johnson.ca at me.com
Wed Sep 3 13:42:37 CEST 2008

I have just started learning Python and have moved on to learning
about Tkinter.  This is likely to be a very easy question but I have
no idea what is happening here.

I am trying to set up a GUI, separated into several frames.  In a
lower frame I have added a Listbox.  I want the first item in the
Listbox to be highlighted when the programme starts up.  Before adding
the ".selection_set" method, the GUI looked just fine.  I used the
propagate method to fix the frame dimensions in my original programme.

However, as soon as call the method:	 ListboxName.selection_set(0),
the lower frame (containing the Listbox), ends up on the top row,
covering the orginal top frame.

I tried a very small bit of code to replicate the basic elements and
the same happens (see code below):

I am working using a mac and XCode, (cocoa-python project).  Just as
an additional point, I have diccovered that running the same programme
through Terminal actually does just fine and displays the windows I
want without a problem.

Thanks in advance for any help with this

Dave

Here's the experiment:

from Tkinter import *

class Application():