[Tutor] python editor / IDE

spir denis.spir at free.fr
Fri Oct 31 12:58:54 CET 2008

Hello,

I have read tons of reviews of editors for python. But they seem to be
all biased, meaning that what the author finds important is well
documented while the rest not at all.
I'm looking for  something like a simple table showing main features for
all editors or IDEs. Do you know of anything like that? If not, maybe
you could point me to editors that meet the following requirements:

Fondamental features:
* Written in python (because I plan to tweak inside for some specific
needs).
* Use of wxPython for UI (ditto -- I find wx clearer than tk or QT).
* /Really/ work well with non-ascii systems, including edition of utf-8
files (most don't in real life use, even when they pretend to).
* Customizable syntax highlighting.
* Customizable key bindings.
* Running of python code from inside the IDE.
* Code browser at least for currently edited file.
* Multiple file opening through tabs.
* Basic editing: search/replace, (un)comment, un(indent),...

Nice additional features:
* Additional editing features: tooltips, code expansion, regexps (maybe
one day I will learn that ;-)),...
* Project level management/browsing.
* GUI building (like boa, but boa constantly crashes with non-ascii --
even with unicode version of wxPython installed).

I currently use DrPython which is very well designed for most of this,
but its lack of code browsing is a pain as soon as a project starts
scaling. And some of its behaviour is a bit weird for me in some fields
(such as edition actions on folded or half-folded block).
Notepad++ is my favorite editor for everything except coding in python.
I would love to use it, but as far as I know, it lacks integration of a
python interpretor.

Thanks,
Denis