[Tutor] pylab Failure

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Mon Oct 13 02:48:22 CEST 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 8:34 PM, Wayne Watson
<sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> What's more likely run python/Tkinter with graphics than IDLE?

See my previous suggestions.

> I'm looking at py2exe right now, but that seems useful for a completed
> program. On that topic, I noticed that my Start->All Progs menu item now,
> possibly it was there before I installed p2exe, a Python2.4 item show a
> Command Line sub-item.

OK, choosing that will open a Python interpreter with a >>> prompt.
What happens if you type
import pylab
at the prompt? Please try that and copy and paste the results to an email.

> I've finally figured out to use the Start->Run to get at the python program.
> I just tried a slight variation on:
>
> C:\Python24\python \path\to\myprogram.py gets nowhere.

What happens when you try it? Please be specific. "gets nowhere"
doesn't tell me much.

> I copied the program int c:\pytho24. I don't seem to be able to copy the
> window, so I see pretty much what I had before, except it adds:
> Fatal Pyton error: Pystring_InterInPlace: strings only please! The rest is
> about the run time error.

Details, please.

You seem to be struggling with some fundamentals of the command line
and running programs. This might help:
http://www.python.org/doc/faq/windows/#how-do-i-run-a-python-program-under-windows

Kent