[Tutor] Batch searches on Googlescholar

W W srilyk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 02:23:55 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Srinivas Iyyer <srini_iyyer_bio at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Dear Tutors,
> This might ben off track question, but I am asking to seek help from
> experts here.
>
> I have a list of (n = 240) research publications (Biology and medicine). I
> have title, journal name and PubMedID.
>
> my aim is to identify how many times each publication got cited on google
> Scholar.
> since Googlescholars indexing is different from that of ISI, we have
> difference in number of citations. GS has more when compared to ISI. It
> would be nice If I can have both.
>
> I asked ISI web of knowledge and they do not seem to have batch extraction
> tools and I did not find any url hooks ( cgi) to automate and parse HTML.

You can use the urllib builtin module and beautiful soup for parsing HTML. I
don't know if the Googlescholars page allows python connections, I know
regular google queries do not (they frown on web scraping, AFAIK)

that's about as specific as you'll probably get without a more explicit
example.

HTH,
Wayne

--
To be considered stupid and to be told so is more painful than being called
gluttonous, mendacious, violent, lascivious, lazy, cowardly: every weakness,