[Tutor] cx_oracle module problems

Hansen, Mike Mike.Hansen at atmel.com
Tue Oct 7 23:48:50 CEST 2008

>>Got it. Thanks.
>>
>>When i try 'python setup.py build' i get the following error.
>>
>>$ sudo python setup.py build
>>
>>Traceback (most recent call last):
>>
>> File "setup.py", line 72, in <module>
>>   raise DistutilsSetupError, "cannot locate an Oracle software
>>installation"
>>distutils.errors.DistutilsSetupError: cannot locate an Oracle software
>>installation
>>

>>Thoughts?
>

>This means you don't have Oracle installed, or setup.py can't find it.
>
>-Wayne

I'm guessing that you'll need to install the .deb file from this site.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/htdocs/102xelinsoft.html

There's installation instructions for Debian(Which I believe Ubuntu is
derived from) here:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/files/install.102/b25144/toc.htm#BABFEDEI

After the client is installed, then hopefully you can build and
install the cx_oracle module.

Good luck. If you get stuck maybe someone else can pipe in. Unless
it's something simple, I usually have trouble if a package is unable
to install due to some missing library or what not.

Mike