[Tutor] (no subject)

Pierre Dagenais pierre.dagenais at ncf.ca
Wed Oct 1 09:55:53 CEST 2008

Timothy Grant wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Pierre Dagenais
> <pierre.dagenais at ncf.ca> wrote:
>
>> kayla bishop wrote:
>>
>>> I can't figure out how to write a program where you flip a coin 100 times
>>> and it keeps track of how many heads and tails you flipped but it has to be
>>> random. Can you please help
>>> 270.7.5/1698 - Release Date: 29/09/2008 7:25 PM
>>>

>> Here is how one newbie would do it:
>>

>> import random
>>
>> # Initialize variables
>> head = 0
>> tail = 0
>>
>> # Flip the coin a hundred times
>> for x in range(100):
>>   choice = random.randint(1,2)
>>  # Is it 'head'?
>>   if choice == 1 :
>>       head = head + 1
>>      # If not 'head' then it must be tail
>>   else :
>>       tail = tail + 1
>>      print "head = ",head
>> print "tail = ",tail

> Please let us know if Pierre gets an an "A" on that assignment or not Kayla.

If that's what it is, and I thought it might be, he won't learn how to
program but on exam day he'll realize that cheating is very expensive. A
great lesson to learn early in life if possible. On the other hand if
Kayla is just new to programming and learning on his own, then some
silly mistake can take weeks to figure out and is a huge waste of time,
as I experienced when learning basic on my beloved ZX81. Besides any
teacher worth it's wiff should scan this list for cheaters, right?
Have a nice day, both of you.