[Tutor] floating point accuracy [working with Fractions]

Karen Bester Karen at smarttech.co.za
Fri Nov 14 09:39:00 CET 2008

Hi

Is there a method to determine the accuracy that you can get given a double precision number.  I'm looking for a formula or table that can tell me what accuracy I can get depending on "where" the decimal point lies.

Thank you

Karen

SmartTech
34 Firgrove Way
Constantia Hills
Cape Town
South Africa
7806

Phone:  +27-21-7130126
Fax:  +27-21-7130127
Cell:  +27-(0)82-7882223
E-mail:    sales at smarttech.co.za
WebSite:   www.smarttech.co.za

This message may contain information which is confidential, private or
privileged in nature and subject to legal privilege. If you are not the
intended recipient or the agent responsible for delivering this message to
the intended recipient, you may not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute,
store or copy this message or any files attached to this message. If you
have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by
e-mail, facsimile or telephone and thereafter return and/or destroy the
original message. All reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no
viruses are present in the message and attachments. Please note that the
recipient must scan this e-mail and any attached files for viruses and the
like. The sender accepts no liability of whatever nature for any loss,
liability, damage or expense resulting directly or indirectly from the
access of this message or any attachments to this message. Any views
expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and do not
necessarily reflect those of SmartTech (Spencer Allen Technologies cc),
except where the sender specifically states them to be the view of
SmartTech (Spencer Allen Technologies cc).