[Tutor] Method question?

W W srilyk at gmail.com
Fri May 2 20:20:55 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Kent Johnson <kent37 at tds.net> wrote:
<snip>
>  This just makes x an alias for the class object. Should be
>   x = myClass()
>
>  >  x.myMethod()
>
>  then this will work.

Ah! Thank you!

I knew/guessed the alias bit from my experience with C++, but I
couldn't figure out exactly what I needed. I've seen the "self"
reference before, but I never really understood it. Let me see if I
understand correctly:

class myClass():

creates a new "data type"(?), called myClass, and

x = myClass()

creates a variable with the type of "myClass", similar to foo = dict()

and the method inside myClass defined as myMethod(self), can be called
on the data type "myClass" like this:

x.myMethod()

is that fairly accurate?
--
To be considered stupid and to be told so is more painful than being
called gluttonous, mendacious, violent, lascivious, lazy, cowardly: