[Tutor] Handling XMLHTTPRequests

Konstantinos Rousis dreamweaver.gr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 22:44:28 CET 2008

Dear all,

I am trying to build an extension for the Firefox that will automatically
authorize users through KeyNote system. My components are the following:

   1. Python implementation of KeyNote. Stand-alone, given some
   information makes the authorization decision.
   2. Firefox Extension: When some events are triggered, an
   XMLHTTPRequest (XHR) should be sent to the server.
   3. *(?)A python script that should handle the XHRs.*

1 and 2 are ready and my difficulties are in 3. I need some conceptual help
on the following:

   - Is it possible a Python script hosted on Apache, accept the XHRs
   made from Firefox extension's JavaScript?
   - Can data sent (e.g. XML files) along with the XHR be extracted from
   my python script and be redirected to the stand-alone Python KeyNote
   application, as well as getting the result back (i.e. authorization
   decision)?
   - Can I define the HTTP response that will be sent back to the
   browser/client?

The important thing is this script to be hosted on an Apache server and not
be a stand-alone server. Moreover I would like to avoid the use of CGI and
rather use the mod_python.

Any help would be really appreciated.

--
Regards,