[Tutor] self-learning Python

Julia midnightjulia at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 16:37:04 CET 2008

> Emad Nawfal wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 8:16 AM, Julia <midnightjulia at gmail.com
> > <mailto:midnightjulia at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     To be honest I truly dislike the Dawson book. I wouldn't recommend
> >     it to anyone. It's lacks technical clarity, examples and has a messy
> >     index. I'm going to sell my example asap.
>
> I'm not sure what kind of clarity you want. To be sure Dawson is not
> nearly as precise and comprehensive as Learning Python, for example, but
> I think the more casual approach is better for a complete beginner.
>
> ISTM Dawson is written almost entirely as a series of extended examples,
> I'm really surprised that you say it lacks examples.

 Yes, Dawson uses few examples. His examples might be extensive but there
are still few examples. Compare the number of examples in Dawson book to the
(in my opinion better) Beginning Python by Norton (Wrox).

The problem is that if you want to know how to use one specific technique
then Dawsons great big examples are of limited use. In a book like Beginning
Python I can find the same technique isolated and therefore better
understand it.

 When I was a complete beginner I preferred Beginning Python over Dawson and
I still do (I'm still a beginner). But that might just me be me :)

/Julia