[Tutor] Const on Python

Michael Langford mlangford.cs03 at gtalumni.org
Thu Mar 6 17:08:25 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Tiago Katcipis <katcipis at inf.ufsc.br> wrote:
> Saddly the lab where i
> work only develops on c++ for now... but everything that i can choose i will
> develop with python,

This is not an insurmountable problem. There are various technologies
which allow you to use C++ code quite easily from python.

The easiest of which is weave:  http://www.scipy.org/Weave
The more difficult, yet still often eminently worth it one is SWIG:
http://www.swig.org/

It also smashes the argument you'll hear in a C++ shop: You can never
make it fast enough in the inner loop.

That said, there are very few times I've *ever* seen the speed
differential between a python and C++ program ever recoup the vastly
increased development and maintenance time of a C++ program. (And I'm
an embedded software developer by practice, supposedly the area that
really matters in).

                   --Michael

--
Michael Langford