[Tutor] python web documentation ( without frameworks?)

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 25 22:23:19 CEST 2008

"Patrick" <optomatic at rogers.com> wrote

> cherrypy, django and turbogears but for some reason I just don't
> want to use a framework. Are there any current books you could
> recommend for general python web programming? Most of the general
> web programming books seem to be from 2004 or before.

There's a good reason for that! Vanilla CGI - the most basic web
programming mechanism available is a rsource hog, non scaleable
and very hard to maintain beyiond small trivial projects. So people
have moved to Frameworks which offer better performance,
easier implementation and far better maintainablility. All Frameworks
aim to achieve that, the choice is pretty much a personal prefernce.

The good news is that if you want to continuously reinvent the wheel
by using vanilla CGI the books from 2004 will all pretty much still
work.
CGI hasn't changed much and neither have the core web modules in
Python.

HTH,