[Tutor] Hands-on beginner's project?

Cédric Lucantis omer at no-log.org
Tue Jun 24 21:50:09 CEST 2008

> No, it was whether or not the engine and data could be separated into two
> different files, like most modern games. If I ever manage to make really
> complex stuff, I might want to take a page out of  Id's book and make the
> engine open source.

Yes that's what you should do. In python terms, they should go in different
modules (and thus in different files) but don't worry too much about that for
now, the most important being to keep them clearly separated in your mind. If
your code is well written it won't require a lot of work to split it when you
feel the need for it. (you'll learn more about modules in the tutorial and
the library reference)

This is an important concept in programing : "separate the concerns". Each
part of your code should focus on a simple and specific task, and should stay
as independent as possible from the rest of the program. This makes the
maintenance easier and improves reusability.

And open source is a sure way to learn a lot and write great softwares :)

--
Cédric Lucantis