[Tutor] Another Newbie question

Cédric Lucantis omer at no-log.org
Tue Jun 24 12:56:45 CEST 2008

Le Tuesday 24 June 2008 12:23:41 Danny Laya, vous avez écrit :
> Hi I got some problem about writting convention in python. Some tutorial
> ask me to write this :
>
> a = 1
> s = 0
> print 'Enter Numbers to add to the sum.'
> print 'Enter 0 to quit.'
> while a != 0:
>     print 'Current Sum:', s
>     a = int(raw_input('Number? '))
>     s = s + a
> print 'Total Sum =', s
>
> And the response must be like this :
>

> But when I write until this :
>
> I press enter, and alas my python response me :
> Enter Numbers to add the sum

This is because you're doing this in an interactive session, so python
interprets and runs each line immediately after you write them. I guess this
example was supposed to be put in a file and executed from there, but you can
also put all this in a function :

def test_func() :
	a = 1
	s = 0
	print 'Enter numbers to add to the sum.'

This won't do anything until you call the function:

test_func()

> It didn't want waiting me until I finish writing the rest.
> I know there is some mistake about my writing convention,
> but what ??? Can you find it ??
>
> But you know it's not finish,I ignore the error message and
>
> writng the rest, but until i write this:
>
> ....     print 'Current Sum:', s
> ....     a = int(raw_input('Number?'))
> ....     s = s+a
> .... print 'Total Sum =', s
>
> Oh, man... another error message :
>
>   File "<stdin>", line 5
>     print 'Total Sum =', s
>         ^

You just forgot the most important: the error message itself :) Probably an
indentation error, but we'll need the full message to help (something
like "SomeError: blah blah...")

--
Cédric Lucantis