[Tutor] Upgrade Python distribution 2.4 to 2.5

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Thu Jun 12 00:34:21 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 5:31 PM, washakie <washakie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I searched the web and python.org but I haven't found a good resource
> that explains how to upgrade python from 2.4 to 2.5
>
> What I'm wondering is whether I'll have to start from scratch on the
> installation of all my external modules such as Numpy, Matplotlib, PyXML,

Unfortunately external modules that include compiled extensions are
not compatible between .x releases of Python. So you will have to
install them from scratch. You might want to check that all critical
modules are available; 2.5 has been out for long enough that you
shouldn't have much problem there.

Pure-Python modules are easier, they can usually be copied over
directly, for example a python module in your site-packages can be
copied to the new site-packages. You might want to use easy_install to
get the most recent versions of modules with easy_install support...

Kent