[Tutor] when is object relational mapping for Python warranted?

Che M pine508 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 11 08:23:13 CEST 2008

(tried to write a descriptive subject line)

I'm curious whether I should consider learning either SQLObject
or SQLAlchemy, and whether my needs would be worth it.  I am
learning to use SQlite databases for fairly simple storage and later
search, and have only recently learned about object relational
mapping (ORM).  "Fairly simple" = 4-6 tables with no more than
2-10 fields each, 100-5,000 records, with queries doing basic LIKE
and other matches, nothing fancy.

I'd like to hear opinions on when it is worth it to use these ORM tools
for a Python database application, that is, in terms of the complexity
of the database or queries or the application, or when basic Python
and SQL is sufficient.  It's a personal preference, I'm sure, but I just
wanted to get some opinions.  Also, if there is an opinion about either
of these two ORMs in terms of learning curve, quality, etc.

Thanks,
Che