[Tutor] Controlling applications

W W srilyk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 17:51:25 CEST 2008

Hi,

I've done some cursory searches, and it doesn't appear that what I
want to do is popular, if it's even possible.

I'm trying to control other applications via python (specifically my
web browser).

My hope is there is some way to emulate a series of keypresses. My
goal is to have a script that will automatically retrieve my banking
information. Originally I was planning to use urllib to post/retrieve
the data, but as far as I can tell, the bank uses several variables
and some javascript to authenticate everything, and it seems overly
complicated to try and manually figure it all out.

Is there a way to utilize python to perform keypresses? And does
anyone know of a tutorial for such a thing? I'm running the most
recently updated Ubuntu 8.04.

TIA, Wayne

--
To be considered stupid and to be told so is more painful than being
called gluttonous, mendacious, violent, lascivious, lazy, cowardly: