[Tutor] where to report a bug?

Chris Fuller cfuller084 at thinkingplanet.net
Fri Jul 25 17:29:48 CEST 2008

On Friday 25 July 2008 09:04, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> I have a script that works fine on my linux machine but bombs out when
> run under windows using the exact same data files. The script downloads
> a file then unzips it and then scans the resulting file for certain
> records. Under Windows it gets a memory error in the unzip routine.
>
> Where should I send the error report?

Quoth
http://www.python.org/dev/faq/#where-can-i-submit-view-bugs-for-python

6.1   Where can I submit/view bugs for Python?
The Python project uses Roundup for bug tracking. Go to
http://bugs.python.org/ for all bug management needs. You will need to create
a Roundup account for yourself before submitting the first bug report;
anonymous reports have been disabled since it was too difficult to get in
contact with submitters. If you previously had used SourceForge to report
Python bugs, you can use Roundup's "Lost your login?" link to obtain your
Roundup password.

Make sure you are using the latest version, at least for that series (2.4.x,
2.5.x, 2.6.x), and make some attempt to search the database to see if its a
known bug.

You might also make sure that your linux and windows systems have the same
version of Python installed.  For instance, If they are sharing files created
by the Pickle module, this can fail if the Pickle format was updated with the
newer version.

Do include some example code in your bug report.  Share with this list if you
are uncertain about anything.

Which reminds me, I have a glitch that bombs with the cStringIO module but
works with StringIO.  Thanks!

Thanks for your support in making Python better!