[Tutor] checking if data files are good, readable, and exist

W W srilyk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 18:09:19 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Bryan Fodness <bryan.fodness at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I would like to check to see if the data files are good, readable, and
> exist.  I have checked to see if they exist, but their is a possibility that
> the data file might be binary, and I would like to have a sys.exit for that
> as well.
>
> if not os.path.isfile(A_data) or not os.path.isfile(B_data)\
>    or not os.path.isfile(C_data) or not os.path.isfile(D_data):
>     sys.exit(14)

Am I wrong in thinking that /all/ files are stored as binary? And then when
python opens them, it automagically opens them in a more readable format,
unless you open them in binary with "rb" or similar command?

-Wayne

--
To be considered stupid and to be told so is more painful than being called
gluttonous, mendacious, violent, lascivious, lazy, cowardly: every weakness,