[Tutor] Guidance on jump-starting to learn Python

bhaaluu bhaaluu at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 15:06:46 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 1:29 AM, Steve Poe <steve.poe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any recommended "homework" assignments?
>
> I have two books as well:
> Core Python Programming from Wesley Chun , Second Edition.
> Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner, Second Edition.
>
> Thanks so much for your advice/help in advance.
>
> Steve

Since you don't have a programming background, the "fast track"
probably insn't a good idea. The "fast track" is usually for people
who are already programmers, and want to learn the specifics of
the Python language.

Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner, 2E is an excellent
Python tutorial. If you'll read it from cover to cover, you'll learn Python.
PPftAB2E uses games to teach Python, so it is fun to work through.
Personally, I learn better when something is fun.

Each chapter has exercises at the end. If you can do the exercises,
then you understand the chapter. If you can't do the exercises, then
you probably didn't understand something.... go back and re-read
that chapter, and try doing the exercises again.

You can always ask questions on this mailing list.

Happy Programming!
--
b h a a l u u at g m a i l dot c o m
Kid on Bus: What are you gonna do today, Napoleon?