[Tutor] IPython problem: Difficulty in setting editor to TextPad

Dick Moores rdm at rcblue.com
Thu Jul 17 17:39:49 CEST 2008

At 08:13 AM 7/17/2008, Alan Gauld wrote:
>"Dick Moores" <rdm at rcblue.com> wrote
>>In my ipy_user_conf.py I have put this line:
>>ipy_editors.install_editor("C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe")
>
>escape the spaces and backslashes(raw string might work as well)

Yeah, I tried that (except for the raw string).

>ipy_editors.install_editor("C:\\Program\ Files\\TextPad 5\\TextPad.exe")
>
>OR maybe
>
>ipy_editors.install_editor(r"C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe")

I finally got some help from one of the main IPython guys (just now).
The line that partially works is
ipy_editors.install_editor('"C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe"
${file}(${line})')

But using the line number doesn't work, so I skip it and do

In [3]: ed versions.py
Editing... > "C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe" versions.py(0)

This DOES open versions.py in Textpad, with the caret at line 1.

Thanks for your educated guesses, Alan.

Dick