[Tutor] New to pythong

Nick Scholtes airchia at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 20:29:14 CEST 2008

Thanks for the info on the Think Python book, and thanks Jeremiah, for
posing this question. That book is one of the best Python learning resources
I've yet found! Makes it really easy to understand!

Nick

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Marc Tompkins <marc.tompkins at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Jeremiah Stack <ttlingit at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Hello everybody:
>>
>> I am new to this mailing list, and it said that i could the simplest of
>> questions. So i was wondering if anyone could be so kind as to e-mail me a
>> project idea or something to go out an learn to do in python. I don't know
>> any languages, but i am definitely not computer illiterate. i have read so
>> many tutorial about getting started but so far that is where the tutorial
>> have left me ( how to print  "Hello World") and such.
>>
>> Any ideas great thanks.
>>

> First of all, I mean no offense to the OP.  However, this question comes up
> a lot on this list, and it always bugs me.  People decide they want to learn
> Python, and then ask strangers to give them a reason to do it.  I may be
> totally wrong about this, but it doesn't seem like a good way to learn
> _anything_, let alone a programming language.  The most important element
> for success is enthusiasm, and how can you generate any enthusiasm working
> on somebody else's homework project?  Unless you learn best under external
> discipline, in which case I suggest you take a class...
>
> My advice to all potential Pythonistas who want to learn on their own:
> think of a problem you need to solve, or a cool game you've wanted to
> implement, or a tool you want but don't have.  In my own case, I had a
> project I needed to do (printing mailing labels from records in an old
> proprietary database) that was going to suck if I used only the tools I
> already had.  I'd been wanting to get into Python, and I decided to use
> Python to do the job and learn as I went.  It was WONDERFUL, and I've been
> in love with Python ever since.  (Yes, I've used it for fun stuff since
> then, but my first experience was of Python saving me hours and hours of
> pain.)
>
> If you don't have a professional task that you could apply Python to, just
> look around your environment for a day or so looking for problems to solve.
> (My favorite example of this, although it's a very silly program and written
> in JavaScript besides, is Roast Beef's "Eggs and Milk Minder" from
> Achewood <http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05082002>.)
>
> Just my &euro;0.0075...
>
> --
> www.fsrtechnologies.com

Art: bellsoffreedom.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Blog: cognitivealchemy.blogspot.com