[Tutor] Windowss sidebar gadgets with Python?

Michael Langford mlangford.cs03 at gtalumni.org
Wed Jan 9 23:44:44 CET 2008

The answer is "Sort of" or "Not really" depending on how you define "in python".

http://microsoftgadgets.com/Sidebar/DevelopmentOverview.aspx
and
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb508513.aspx

are the apropos pieces of documentation. You can call a python program
via the System.Shell.execute function in your sidebar script, and have
it change the html files (or better yet, an xml file) that the toolbar
app uses. After it completes, you update the UI via reloading the XML
file.

It's not the least roundabout way to do something I've ever seen, but
it looks possible.

        --Michael

PS: I've had notes on this for awhile, but haven't had the time to
try. If it works, let me know.

On 1/9/08, Timothy Sikes <trs164 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I have been working with Python for a couple years off and on, and am
> currently enrolled in a java class. Python was my first language, and I
> think it's probably my favorite. But anyway, I was wondering about whether a
> Windows SideBar application could be built with Python.  I'm not completely
> sure how they work, as honestly, HTML just confuses me.... I know you can
> use JavaScript, but I don't know if you can apply it with Python.  I'll
> probably be back with more questions, as I like to develop different Python
> scripts and programs for my enjoyment, and I'm starting basic Socket and
> Network programming.
>
> Thank you

Michael Langford
Phone: 404-386-0495