[Tutor] new on the list

bhaaluu bhaaluu at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 14:04:47 CET 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 4:51 AM, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:
>  <tonytraductor at linguasos.org> wrote
>
>  > (I wrote these using a simple text editor that I made with Tcl,
>  > too, http://www.linguasos.org/tcltext.html )
>
>  Fine but it will be easier to use a syntax aware full featured
>  editor like vim or Idle or emacs or Scite
>
>  But overall you are on the right lines.
>

>  --
>  Alan Gauld
>  Author of the Learn to Program web site
>  Temorarily at:
>  http://uk.geocities.com/alan.gauld@btinternet.com/
>  Normally:
>  http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld

I also run Python on Linux.  I've tried several of the Python IDEs
(Integrated Development Environments), such as IDLE, Eric, and
so forth, but the best (for me) has been vim. I use the following
.vimrc file:

-------------8<-----Cut Here----->8-------------------
" .vimrc
"
" Created by Jeff Elkner 23 January 2006
" Last modified 2 February 2006
"
" Turn on syntax highlighting and autoindenting
syntax enable
filetype indent on
" set autoindent width to 4 spaces (see
" http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=83)
set et
set sw=4
set smarttab
" set line number (added by bhaaluu)
set nu
" Bind <f2> key to running the python interpreter on the currently active
" file.  (courtesy of Steve Howell from email dated 1 Feb 2006).
map <f2> :w\|!python %<cr>
-------------8<-----Cut Here----->8-------------------

I run vim in Konsole, but any Xterm works, AFAIK.
Since the Traceback exceptions in Python usually have a line number,
I added that 'feature' to the .vimrc file.
Note the last line that starts with 'map'. That allows you to run your
typed-in Python program from within vim by simply pressing the F2 function key.
At the end of the run, you'll be prompted to press <Enter> to return to editing
your program in the vim editor.

Since I have vim linked to the 'vi' command, all I have to do to start editing
a new program is to enter a command similar to this at the bash prompt:

$ vi myNewPythonProgram.py

Then, I stay in vim to edit the program, run it, modify it, debug it, etc.
The syntax highlighting and autoindent features enabled in the .vimrc file
make programming in Python a fun and enjoyable experience.

Happy Programming!
--
b h a a l u u at g m a i l dot c o m
"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its