[Tutor] crashed with Runtime Error: NZEC (non-zero exit code)

Eric Brunson brunson at brunson.com
Thu Feb 28 02:06:32 CET 2008

Alan Gauld wrote:
> "Eric Brunson" <brunson at brunson.com> wrote
>
>> Alan Gauld wrote:

Glad we both noted the smileys.  :-)

> However, there is a bit of a serious point here too in that
> users never ask for data validation (at least mine never do!)
> they just expect it. So I still maintain that any test suite
> no matter how basic should always cover some tests
> for invalid input data.

Definitely a valid point.  I just spent twenty minutes this afternoon
tracking down a problem in my own code where, because I was supplying
the input from a database, I could count on converting the value to a
float.  However, that didn't account for not finding a value at all.

> Even well intentioned users will make mistakes and a program
> that crashes on invalid input is not user friendly - even if the
> only user is the author!

Bingo.  :-)

Always a pleasure,
e.