[Tutor] Django hosting

Ian Ozsvald i.m.ozsvald at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 23 13:57:03 CET 2008

I'll echo Kent and give +1 to WebFaction.  As Kent mentions for the price of 2 pints of beer per month on the basic shared plan:
http://www.webfaction.com/services/hosting
you can run your long-running Django app and receive excellent tech-support from Remi, David and team.  They are long-time Python supporters (along with other dynamic languages like Ruby) and really do know their stuff.

My ShowMeDo.com has been running there (on the biggest Shared Host package, now looking towards a private server with them) for 2 years and the quality of their tech support really is excellent.  I feel that we're in a very safe pair of hands which is rather invaluable when you want to spend your time developing, not administering.

The 60mb memory allowance on Shared1 is enough to run one or two small Django or TurboGears applications (ShowMeDo is written in TurboGears).  A basic instance of TurboGears uses about 20mb and I'd guess (but have no experience) that Django uses a similar amount of memory.

In relation to this and the previous (hijacked) thread, I'd suggest a new user looks at Django as their first framework.  It is mature, undergoing continuous growth and has a large support network via the forums, main site and book - that'll keep you productive when you might stumble with less-well-known frameworks.  Personally I'm a TurboGears supporter and have high hopes for what could happen with TG2.0 later in the year, but right now I'd suggest Django as a first port of call.

HTH,
Ian.
ps. this is my first post, I'll modify my posting format if this comes through mangled <fingers crossed it worked>.

Ian Ozsvald
i.m.ozsvald at btinternet.com
http://ianozsvald.com
http://Services.ShowMeDo.com + http://ShowMeDo.com