[Tutor] designing POOP

bhaaluu bhaaluu at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 01:52:00 CET 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 6:47 PM, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:

> "Alan Gauld" <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote
>
> >> What is the equivalent of JUnit in Python?
> >
> > I think the nearest equivalent is
> >

> Oops, I was going top say PyUnit then remembered the name
> had changed but forgot to check out the latest incarnation.
> Fortyunately others have done the work for me.
>
> Personally I like the Nose framework that comes with
> TurboGears but even hand written unit tests are no big
> deal in Python - just use asserts and other invariant
> checks and tests etc liberally....
>

> Alan G.

PyUnit:
It really doesn't seem to be an "absolute beginner" technique.
The noun/verb/adjective technique seems to be geared
more towards beginners. I like the idea of that technique.
Perhaps the "unit test" approach is more for "Intermediate"
learners, or learners who already have a background in
OOP of some form or another (like Java). I'm just starting out,
so I'm looking at everything that is thrown at me, but quite
frankly, it is really easy for me to see something that is over
my head at this point. If it's over my head, I'll just stall, like
I have in the past, and then I'll have to start this thread over
again later. <sigh> 8^D

I guess you can tell it's been a long day for me. I've done
some reading, some coding, some experimenting... all in
a day's play for a Hobbyist Programmer. 8^D

I'll take another look at PyUnit tomorrow morning
when I'm fresh.

One thing I'm encouraged by: in Alan's tutorial, he
says that I don't have to "see the light" to use POOP.
But if I can learn some basic "design POOP" techniques
from all this, then I'll be happy. After all, I'm a beginner...
you can't get any more basic than that!

Happy Happy Joy Joy.
--
b h a a l u u at g m a i l dot c o m
"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its