[Tutor] PHP & Python suggestions....

Michael Langford mlangford.cs03 at gtalumni.org
Tue Feb 5 03:38:31 CET 2008

OT Aside:
Anyone ever used PSP pages? Seems like a good substitute for PHPish
tasks, but I've not seen many users.

As to the actual question, PHP can call python through a variety of
means. One such one I'm familiar with is XMLRPC.

PHP:
http://phpxmlrpc.sourceforge.net/

Python:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-pyth10.html (servers at
the bottom).

XMLRPC can be slooooooooooooow. Make sure its fast enough for what
you're doing by running a benchmark. But if it is fast enough, the
python libraries at least are quite magically simple as far as cross
language programming can be.

        --Michael

On Feb 4, 2008 10:43 AM, Chris Fuller <cfuller084 at thinkingplanet.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 03 February 2008 17:35, GTXY20 wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > First off let me say how helpful and informative this mailing list is. It
> > is very much appreciated.
> >
> > Anyway, I am looking for some suggestions for reading up on how to call
> > Python from PHP scripts, specifically calling from a PHP web application -
> > PHP will call python script with some arguments and python will run on the
> > server and return the results within another PHP page.
> >
> > Once again thanks.
> >
> > GTXY20.
>
> You can also use python in server-side scripting, at least with apache and
> mod_python.  You can use it the same way as PHP.  This might not be suitable
> for what you need to do, but if you could do it this way, it would probably
> be faster.
>
> Cheers
> Chris Fuller

Michael Langford