[Tutor] python parser

Garry Bettle garry.bettle at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 20:27:46 CET 2008

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:39:37 -0800, johnf wrote:
> Well I'm attempting to convert VFP and MsSQL (stored procedures and triggers)
> to Python and Postgres (functions and triggers).  Actually, python is very
> close to VFP and I would convert very well.  MsSQL is another question.

Hi John,

I hope this message finds you well.

You might be interested in the following:

http://dabodev.com/

"Dabo is a 3-tier, cross-platform application development framework,
written in Python atop the wxPython GUI toolkit. And while Dabo is
designed to create database-centric apps, that is not a requirement.
Lots of people are using Dabo for the GUI tools to create apps that
have no need to connect to a database at all."

NB:  The VFP-angle is well and truely catered for:

"Background

Dabo's authors, Ed Leafe and Paul McNett, have strong backgrounds in
database application development using the awesome and underrated
Microsoft Visual FoxPro development environment.

While Visual FoxPro shines at developing data-centric applications, it
has one limitation that cannot be ignored: it only runs on Microsoft
Windows, and Ed and Paul both have clients that want their
applications to run on Linux and Macintosh. We are sure we are not
alone in this regard: it is a multi-platform world with more diverse
needs than one vendor can fulfill.

Ed and Paul got to talking one day: Paul had been researching various
multiplatform GUI toolkits for about 18 months, and Ed has lots of
experience developing the Visual FoxPro Codebook framework. We decided
to work together to make a framework for developing robust
data-centric applications for multi-platform deployment. We've come up
with a design that is simple, flexible, and robust, and we've begun
developing our own client applications using the Dabo framework."

G.