[Tutor] Equivalent of grep in python

Tiago Katcipis katcipis at inf.ufsc.br
Sun Dec 21 14:57:14 CET 2008

i believe that the following should work

file1 = open(fileO, 'r')
re.findall ('some_text', file1.read())

readlines returns a list with lists inside, where every list is a line of
the text. The read function returns the entire file as one string, so it
should work to what you are wanting to do.

best regards

Katcipis

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 12:02 AM, ppaarrkk <simon_ecc at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> The following works :
>
> file1 = open (file0, "r")
>
> re.findall ( 'some_text', file1.readline() )
>

> But this doesn't :
>
> re.findall ( 'some_text', file1.readlines() )
>

> How do I use grep for a whole text file, not just a single string ?
> --

"it might be a profitable thing to learn Java, but it has no intellectual
value whatsoever" Alexander Stepanov