[Tutor] using windows wide proxy settings

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 4 00:20:16 CET 2008

"Tim Michelsen" <timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de> wrote

> is there any possibility in python to retrieve the system wide
> internet connection settings?

Not as such, but Python does provide the hooks to get it from the OS.

> I would like to access the proxy settings stored in
> Internet Explorer -> Extras -> Options -> Connection -> LAN
> settings.

Assuming IE implies Windows and not MacOS you can read the
registry using the Windows API or alternativey you can use
Windows Script Host and access it via the Registry object.
In either case you will need the Pythonwin extensions or ctypes.

Its also possible to get at most(all?) of what you need via the
subprocess module and the Windows command line tools.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site