[Tutor] Python Docs (Was: Reformatting phone number)

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 21:29:42 CEST 2008

2008/8/21 Jerry Hill <malaclypse2 at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2008/8/21 Kent Johnson <kent37 at tds.net>:
>>> Chapters 2 and 3 of the library reference are highly recommended.
>>> http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html
>>
>> Let's start from there. I need the startswith() function, but I do not
>> know it's name. I search for "strings" and find this:
>> 4. String Services
>>    * 4.1 string -- Common string operations
>>          o 4.1.3 String functions
>
> You went too far.  Look at 3.6 (Sequence types) and 3.6.1 (String
> Methods).  Those document operations that work on all types of
> sequences and the methods of the string type.  That's 99% of what
> you'll need to know about python strings.  Kent was pretty specific
> about looking at chapter two and three of the library reference.  Why
> did you start with chapter four instead?

That's where my search took me. I use the Vimperator Firefox plugin,
and I know that it does not start searching from the start of the
page. It seems rather inconsistent, and I think that the developer
knows that.

> I believe that doc bugs (and suggestions for improvements) are tracked
> on the python bug tracker (http://bugs.python.org/).  If you're going
> to submit doc patches, you may want to take a look at
> http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/ which I believe is the beta of the new
> documentation layout for python 3.0.

I will definitely look through there, thanks.

>  I'm not sure how much the actual
> contents have changed from the 2.x docs though.  I notice that the
> section on the string module does now refer you back to the methods of
> string and sequences in general, which the current docs do not.

Root.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com