[Tutor] seeking help to a problem w/ sockets

James Duffy devsfan1830 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 02:56:31 CEST 2008

I have a problem w/ a file transfer receiver. They way it works is it binds
a port for incoming transfer , when the file transfer is complete. It closes
the connection and the socket, then loops back and restarts the bind and
listen. I have it set so that the socket is reuseable, which is why this
works. However, if the program that is using this function is closed while
listening, it appears that it does not "un-bind" because when the program is
reopened and a listen attepted to start I get a "port already in use" error.
Only a reboot fixes this issue. This code is imported into a main GUI
script. We have it set to execute some cleanup functions on exit, I need a
function that can dig down to the thread the listener is running in, stop
the listen and close the connection and socket. I basically need to get to
the close function and then stop the while loop. Thanks in advance for any
help anyone can give. My code for the listener class follows:

class Reciever ( Thread ):   # the reciever class for the test tool, runs as
a separate thread from the main program

    def __init__( this ):

        Thread.__init__( this )

    def run(this):

        this.process()

    def bindsock( this ):   # create a new socket, bid the socket to the
port, listen until connection recieved

        this.Lport=listen

        this.sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)

        this.sock.setsockopt(socket.SOL_SOCKET,socket.SO_REUSEADDR,1)

        this.sock.bind(('',this.Lport))

        this.sock.listen(1)

        print "Listening on port " +str(this.Lport)

    def acceptsock( this ): #when connection is incoming, accept the
connection

        this.conn, this.addr = this.sock.accept()

        print 'Got connection from', this.addr

    def transfer( this ):   #when connection is full established, begin data
download

        global filenumber

        print 'Starting media transfer '

        openfile="XMLrecieved"+str(filenumber)+".xml"

        f = open(openfile,"wb") #create and open a new file for writing
incoming data to

        while 1:

            data = this.conn.recv(1024)   #check for incoming data

            if not data: break         #if not present, break the loop

            f.write(data)       #if data is present, write it to file and
loop back

        f.close()  #when loop is broken, close the file

        print "Got XML file:" + openfile

        print 'Closing media transfer'

        filenumber = filenumber + 1

    def close( this ):  #close all connections and sockets

        this.conn.close()

        this.sock.close()

    def process( this ):     #this is the loop of the thread, it listens,
receives, closes then repeats until entire program is closed

        while 1:

            this.bindsock()

            this.acceptsock()

            this.transfer()