[Tutor] Hoping to benefit from someone's experience...

Marc Tompkins marc.tompkins at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 06:15:02 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Luke Paireepinart <rabidpoobear at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sorry, forgot to cc the list.

Actually, you cc'd the list with my previous post instead of your response
to it.  Here's what you sent me:

> I don't know if this is the best way, but given that other guy's
> suggestion about RTF,
> why not create a new document formatted how you want,
> then use ooconvert to throw all of your files into text files.
> Then you don't have to deal with parsing the original files, and you can
> use the data from the text files and then generate new RTFs?
> You can see how the result is... just make sure you don't overwrite your
> original RTFs!
> -Luke

I _have_ been thinking about this... but I don't think it's going to fly.
Apart from the header and footer (which would be a snap to re-create), the
reports include a good deal of formatting, without which they're nearly
impossible to comprehend.  (Bulleted lists, numbered lists, S.O.A.P.
quadrants, reviews of systems with the name of each system bolded for
emphasis...)  From a publishing or stylistic point of view, they're a
freaking nightmare, but this is medicine, not literature!

Furthermore, the formatting varies from document to document...  basically,
this would require reviewing each of the 10K documents to make sure it still
makes sense after its travels - and, almost as important, still resembles
the printed document sitting in a file cabinet somewhere.

I've been very impressed by how well OO saved the formatting during
conversion from .doc to .rtf... but I don't want to push my luck too far.

I'm sorry if it seems I'm just shooting everything down - it's just that I
had done a good bit of thinking about my problem before I wrote my original
question.

Moving away from the RTF horn of my dilemma, does anyone have any experience
writing OO macros?  Or know of any sites with more than ten lines of
documentation?  I'm studying ooconvert itself, but that's only getting me so
far.
--
www.fsrtechnologies.com